23 Jan Passion Power Chia
Chia seeds are amazing little bombs.
I LOVE how versatile they are and always, always have a stash of it in the pantry.
And unconsciously, I’ve been using this in replacement of oats.
Been a little crazy with chia seeds because
They are loaded with incredible punch of nutrition, mainly–
Protein. Omega-3. Fibre.
I eat them mostly of its protein and fibre content, not omega-3.
Here’s why I don’t depend on chia seeds for omega-3.
The omega-3 in chia seeds are in the form of Alpha-Linoeic Acid (ALA), usually plant sources, which must be converted to DHA and EPA in order to be used in the body.
In other words, ALA is a pre-cursor to DHA and EPA.
Unfortunately, the conversion process is inefficient in our body.
This means that we’re not getting much Omega-3 from chia seeds.
But it doesn’t mean that we stop eating these crunchy seeds, right?
Simple solution : Look out for other sources of DHA and EPA like fish oil, seafood and for vegans, algae.
Now, coming back to today’s recipe-
Passionfruit is deliciously sweet smelling and the best part?
No added sweetener!
It’s so so good.
If you want some crunch, add in trail mix and more chia seeds. I can’t seem to get enough. Haha.
Give it a go!
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or cashew, almond milk)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 passionfruits
- 5 goji berries
- Optional for extra crunch: trail mix (nuts and seeds), more chia seeds!
- In a glass container, add in chia seeds and coconut milk. Optional for extra sweetness, add in a drop of liquid stevia or honey or maple syrup to taste.
- Allow mixture to soak for 30 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally as it thickens up. For best results, leave it in the fridge overnight. *#
- Scoop chia pudding in a serving bowl and top off with passionfruit, goji berries, trail mix and more chia seeds.
- *If the chia pudding gets too thick, add in a splash of water and stir.
- # If chia pudding gets too diluted, add in more chia, stir and let it soak for 30 minutes.
P.S. Enjoying this chia creation? Check out this recipe too – Cashew Chia Pudding!