21 Feb Lo Hei Salad
Oh my goodness!
Did you also have lots and lots of indulgent and delectable tidbits over the Chinese New Year season – pineapple tarts, seaweed crackers, peanut cookies, prawn rolls? Yum!
*wipes drool from keyboard*
I’m eating a seaweed cracker as we’re speaking.
If you’re wondering, isn’t that ‘unhealthy’?
Yes, if you’re eating all that every day.
I choose to adopt a 90/10 lifestyle – basically eating healthy 90% of the time and enjoying life with the other 10%.
So, this week, I thought to get us on board towards a healthier bandwagon with this salad recipe that my colleagues were teasing that I was having ‘Lo Hei Lunch’ and didn’t invite them to lo hei together.
It’s really easy to assemble – 3 minutes tops!
- 2 cups of mixed greens
- ½ cup of 4 beans mixed – chickpeas, red kidney beans, lima beans, butter beans
- Mandarin oranges
- Optional: Pine nuts or any nuts or seeds of choice
- Balsamic Mandarin Dressing
- 3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp of juiced mandarin oranges
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Enjoy!
You can get creative with the ingredients!
For nut-free, replace nuts with seeds: pumpkin seed, mulberries, goji berries
For bean-free, use protein alternatives: salmon, chicken, tuna, eggs
One of my go-to, fuss-free lunch that I assemble on the spot. Or if I know I’ve got that important meeting later that I cannot afford to fall asleep.
Either way, it’s super quick and easy!