09 Jan Cashew Chia Pudding
You know, I’ve broken up with oats and bread for a long time.
That’s because I met charming Mr Green Smoothie and Mr Avocado. Why, hello there.
That’s one part of the story.
I was actually experimenting with elimination diet.
Removing GLUTEN, specifically.
Because I was curious about the whole gluten-free craze.
And in my nutrition studies, we were also taught about how gluten causes leaky gut syndrome that possibly lead to irritable bowel syndrome, ADHD, depression, celiac disease etc.
I was blown away with the information. This is the current research –
Gluten is composed of gliadin and glutenein.
The proposed mechanism of action is that if these are not digested, gliadin binds to intestinal lining which increases intestinal permeability.
This promotes intestinal leakiness which allows foreign particles like grain, bacteria, gliadin to enter the bloodstream.
This activates our immune system and triggers attack on intestine.
In the long run, villi in the intestine becomes damaged. Think of it as leaky pipes.
What’s supposed to be an experiment turned out responsive for me and I kept gluten exposure to a minimum.
One thing for sure is that I don’t feel the sense of bloatedness anymore.
So what does removing gluten mean?
Bye bye cereal boxes, Quaker oats, granola and bread.
I know what you’re thinking.
Then what else to eat in the morning?!
Worry not. Plenty of options-
Fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, fish, poultry – you know REAL FOOD.
And today, I want to share with you a breakfast recipe– one of my favourite overnight recipe.
Just scoop and eat the next morning!
Packed with bio-available protein that’s easy to digest, nutrient dense superfood, fiber for healthy gut and bowel.
- ½ cup of raw cashews, rinsed
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- Sweetener: 2-3 tsp maple syrup or 1 drop of liquid stevia
- Fresh fruits – Raspberries, blueberries
- Optional: ½ tsp cinnamon, hemp seeds, almonds, mint leaves
- Place cashews and water in a high speed blender. Blend till smooth and creamy. Pour mixture in a glass container.
- Add chia seeds and sweetener. Whisk together.
- Allow mixture to soak for 30 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally as it thickens up. For best results, leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Garnish with fresh fruits, hemp seeds, almonds, mint leaves.
P.S. Know any friends, colleagues or loved ones who rather sleep in than preparing breakfast in the morning? Forward this post to them, they’ll thank you for a practical breakfast solution.
P.P.S You might enjoy this recipe too.